When you’re visiting a country like Spain, it can be a little daunting if you don’t speak the native language. If you don’t understand the most basic words, your vacation may not be as much fun. It’s a good idea to learn a few phrases in order to develop your conversational skills. Communicating with people in Spanish will certainly make your travel experiences more memorable and enjoyable. To get you started, here are the top 10 most popular Spanish phrases that every traveller should learn.
1. If you get lost somewhere, you will need to ask a local some simple questions. Always start with the question “¿dónde está?” (where is). Some of the most common examples include: “¿Dónde está la estación de ferrocarril?” (Where is the bus/train station?) “¿Dónde está un restaurante?” (Where is a restaurant?) “ ¿La calle ” (the street).
2. “¿Cuánto cuesta?” (How much does it cost? Or what is the price?)
3. “¿Qué hora es, por favor?” (What time is it, please?)
4. “Yo entiendo, yo no entiendo” (I understand/ I don’t understand)
5. “Yo quiero un boleto, un hotel, un taxi” (I want a ticket for a hotel, a taxi)
6. “Necesito ayuda”. (I need help)
7. “¡Buen viaje!” (Have a good vacation!)
8. “¡Lo siento!” (I am sorry!)
An alternative way to apologise is saying Perdón. This is a more common way of saying sorry, however, if you are looking for toilets, you can use this phrase “Perdón, pero dónde están los baños? (excuse me but where are the WCs?)
9. “¡No se preocupe!” (No worries!)
10. “hasta pronto” (See you soon)
The top 10 phrases are not just helpful but they’re also most commonly used in Spain. If you make an effort and speak with the native locals, they will appreciate your attempts at becoming part of their community. It won’t be long until you are ready to learn more words and phrases and improve your Spanish.